For Farmers

Why are Schools Different to Work With?

Institutional buyers, such as schools, often have their own language for the ordering, transport, pack size, and quantity of crops they consume. Additionally, schools often also require higher levels of Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) Certification as well as higher liability coverage. The purpose of this webpage is to help a farmer navigate those aspects of Farm to School procurement and more easily communicate with Food Service Directors looking for quality product.
Please click one of the links below for examples and resources of a Farm to School topic you want more information on.

Find a Local Food Service Director

Additionally, if you'd like to find a School District Food Service Director, please Click Here  for a regional directory.

Get Added to Find Farms Listing

Or, if you would like to be added to the Find Farms listing on this website, please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1) How to Work with School Food Service

Documents coming soon**

Download the Farm to School Manual

Download Example of a Forward/Grow Out Contract

Download Example of a School District Bid

2) Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) Certification Free Resources

How-to Videos for GAP Certification

Free Food Safety Tools Checklist

How to Create a Farm Food Safety Manual

Food Safety Ranch Audit

Ranch Audit Guidelines

Field Checklist

Harvest Crew Audit

Harvest Crew Guidelines

GAP for Small Diversified Farms

3) GAP Advisors in Yolo County

Yolo County Dept. of Agriculture: (530) 666-8140

Yolo County Farm Bureau:

Community Alliance of Family Farmers: (831) 818-4109

4) Liability Insurance Glossary of Terms

**Documents Coming Soon**

Download Liability Insurance Glossary

5) Companies who Specialize in Farm Liability Insurance